Blyth freshwater angling club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

advice req,d for a beginner

5 posters

Go down

advice req,d for a beginner Empty advice req,d for a beginner

Post  Geordie Pensioner Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:01 am

I,m using a 12ft carp rod but often get into trouble when casting, with shrubbery and bushes etc.
I,ve seen others casting twice my distance using a much shorter whip type rod. Can someone advise a beginner where to buy that type of rod,how much are they? and how best to use them.

Geordie Pensioner

Back to top Go down

advice req,d for a beginner Empty Re: advice req,d for a beginner

Post  legin Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 am

Hi Geordie
It depends what type of fishing you intend doing. Whip type rods as you say and carp rods are two complete opposites.

legin

Back to top Go down

Post  Geordie Pensioner Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:17 am

Hi legin, I normally only fish at meggie,s burn catching small perch or rudd using maggot on wiggler float. With the gear I use I only seem to be able to cast 5 or 6 mtrs. Ive seen others using much smaller rods casting 15 to 20 mtrs.
Obviously I,m doing something wrong or using the wrong gear. Any advice or help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Geordie Pensioner

Back to top Go down

Post  lovetofish Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:31 am

you need to buy a course float fishing rod or get a whip with 4/5 pound line with a small size 16/14 hook that will help you a little m8 i hope.

lovetofish

Back to top Go down

Post  Geordie Pensioner Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:39 am

Thanks for that, will give it a try with some different tackle.
will post results later.

Geordie Pensioner

Back to top Go down

Post  Markie Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:25 am

I use a 1 1/4lb test avon rod with a spare top section which is a quiver type rod similar to this one

http://www.reelfishing.co.uk/John-Wilson-Signature-Avon-Quiver-System.html

The avon is a light rod but strong enough to handle most of the larger carp you might encounter in the North East will easily handle a 25lb fish as long as you use it correctly and can take heavy lines no probs, both the quiver and avon tops are good for waggler fishing too and in a pond like Meggies burn you really dont need to cast 20 meters as most fish are within a few rods length from the banks. My avon top can cast a controller float from bank to bank to probs at Blyth so distance aint an issue. The quiver top has a 'waggler' tip as well as several quiver tips while it isnt as good as a dedicated waggler rod its more than good enough for me.

I've never used the John Wilson range but believe they are good rods and a fraction of the cost of a Shimano version. My advice is to buythe best you can afford cheap rubbish rods will perform like a cheap rod. If you've not got much cash to spend visit a good shop with loads of choice Angling Leisure Sport ALS at Gosforth used to be a good shop havent been for years. Don't waste your time going to small stores with poor choice you just wont get what you require.

For all round use - seriously look at the avons/quivers combo's well worth the money in my opinion.

Info from http://www.tackleuk.co.uk/john-wilson-avon-quiver-system-p-2216.html

The John Wilson Signature Avon Quiver system is a truly superb all rounder and is the most versatile rod you will ever own!
It has often been copied but never bettered.
It has a test curve of 1.25lb and is perfect for targetting everything from carp and tench to barbel, chub, roach and dace.
The rod is supplied with 2 tops, 1 split butt and extension and can be used at either 11' or 13'.
It is also supplied with 3 push in quivers of 1.5oz, 2oz and 2.5oz.
Recommended reel lines are from 3lb to 8lb.

Markie

http://www.gameangler.eu

Back to top Go down

Post  Geordie Pensioner Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:15 am

Hi markie, thanks for a boatload of advice,there is more to this fishing lark than just drowning maggots.Have you used Frazers tackle shop in Whitley Bay? Ihave just been down this morning, the choice of rods is very confusing but I have bought a 9ft Wychwood 5-20g light rod which I feel comfortable with.
The comments and advice received from various members prove the benefits of being a member of a club such as ours and would like to thank all who have responded to my request for advice as a begginer in this sport. cheers.

Geordie Pensioner

Back to top Go down

Post  4246 Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:49 am

markie als at gosforth is kinda now gone....
alan has a we small shop next to the chippy but aint got much at all....
i shopped there for close to 15 years... now id tackle at byker is the boy...

http://www.4246.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  legin Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:16 pm

Yes I agree I.D. fishing tackle at byker is the best in the area,I went to frazers the other day first time in a long time for some pellets, NONE affraid Your new 9ft rod is better 12-13ft is better for casting further. You now want some 3-4lb line size 16 barbless (i use kamasan B611 ) hooks and some red maggots. Now go catch some na LOTS of fish.

legin

Back to top Go down

Post  Geordie Pensioner Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:59 am

Thanks legin, I,ve got the rod, the line, the hooks, and maggots will be collected from Frazers(at £1.25 per 1/2 pint.What other bates can be used at meggies burn?

Geordie Pensioner

Back to top Go down

Post  legin Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:50 am

Sweet corn (small ), worms, Maggots, Pinkies, Bread and Pellets if you don't cast them to far, and if that don't get you a bag full GIVE UP. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

legin

Back to top Go down

Post  Geordie Pensioner Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:45 pm

Thanks legin re the bait. Been to the burn today with 10 yr old grandson. Had a great day with about a dozen small to medium perch and rudd caught on maggot with my new lightweight rod.
C,ant wait to try the different baits, and,give up ? I,ve only just got started.

Geordie Pensioner

Back to top Go down

Post  legin Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:18 pm

Don't matter when you start as long as you enjoy yourself.
Hay the weathers great for Tench, warm and overcast get up there now and fish on the bottom with worm or red maggots next to the weed / lilly's and you are sure to bag one or two.

legin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum